Want to be a developer?
APPLY TO SAMEX
The Samex Apprentice Program admissions currently opens quarterly, admitting two cohorts of 8 students each.
The Apprentice program consists of 3 months of online training followed by 8 weeks of individual and team based projects with both local and international companies.
“This was the best decision I’ve ever made. Not only did I find my passion with the apprenticeship, I also found a job that allows me to be myself, and work with a company that pushes me to be the best.“
Ayrton Sousa, Samex Apprentice Graduate
What You'll Learn
Become well versed in the following technologies
Figure out if this is the right path for you.
If you plan to apply to the Apprentice program soon or are interested in learning more about coding, you can get started with Samex’s free, online Head Start curriculum. Samex’s Head Start program consists of online notes, worksheets, and assignments developed by Samex’s instructional staff.
Head Start is available to anyone who is interested in learning about web development. The curriculum has been structured to give beginners a solid foundation in programming concepts and steps on how to understand how programs are built to solve problems.
If you are planning to apply to Samex, it is highly recommended that you complete the entire Head Start program prior to submitting your application.
Samex's Apprentice Program is more than a ``coding bootcamp``. To be successful with Samex, applicants must be willing to commit themselves to all aspects of the program as well as embrace our values of personal development, and lifelong learning. In addition to aptitude and passion, we look for applicants who have:
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Investment in personal development, self reflection & improvement: Demonstrates a strong open-mindedness to learn and recognize one’s biases, a desire to improve yourself as a person, and a desire to make a significant difference in the world.
- Passion for software development: Has invested time into learning about software development and improving skills, conveys excitement for projects and possesses a desire to grow and use skills.
- Aptitude for learning: Ability to think creatively, analytically and with depth about problems; displays curiosity; able to self-study and leverage available resources.
- Grit: Demonstrates ability to work through obstacles despite setbacks and failure.
- Composure under stress: Ability to adapt to changing situations, cope with stress, a willingness to ask for help and clearly communicate needs.
- Ability to work well with others: Evidence of collaboration, teamwork, and helping others succeed; ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Ability to work remotely: Self disciplined and able to work remotely, yet remain in daily contact with classmates, teammates, instructors and complete tasks, assignments and projects on time.
- Underqualified for Samex: You may night have tried any coding, or have done very little. While you are not expected to be an expert developer, you should have completed the Head Start curriculum and the recommended tutorials by the time you apply.
- Overqualified for Samex: You have spent a significant amount of time studying Computer Science or have worked as a software developer. Examples of over-qualification include, but are not limited to: having a major, minor, or Associate’s degree in Computer Science; having attended another full time coding bootcamp; previous work experience as a software developer.
The application process includes 4 parts: application submission, code challenge, technical interview, in-person/virtual panel interview. All phases after the application submission are by invitation only.
Each part is designed to evaluate an applicant's desire to enter the Tech industry, passion for Samex's mission, and readiness to thrive in the program
- Submit a resume
- Answer 4 – 5 short essay questions
- Analyze a large set of data and answer questions about it.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Ability to learn something new in order to accomplish a given task
- Clear desire to join Samex’s Apprentice Program that goes beyond receiving a technical education
- Grit and determination to enter Tech
- Demonstrated ability to persist through setbacks and learn from mistakes
- Ability to clearly communicate thought processes, assumptions and conclusions
- Complete a one-week time boxed coding challenge based on our Head Start curriculum
- If your code meets our technical bar, you will be invited to participate in a short, virtual interview to further discuss your code.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Ability to self-learn and apply material quickly
- Demonstrated grasp of coding fundamentals to confirm your readiness to start with Samex
- Ability to clearly discuss your code in terms of control flow and thought process
- Participate in an in-person or virtual panel interview
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Passion for Samex’s mission and software development
- Aptitude for learning and excelling in Samex’s collaborative and growth focused program
- The drive and ambition to thrive with Samex
The application window opens four times per year for three weeks at a time. Specific dates for the current admissions cycle are available above. Please join our mailing list to receive a notification when the next application window opens.
Start your application as soon as the application window opens to give yourself enough time to work through all components. We recommend drafting your application in Word or another format as you will not be able to save any progress in the application form. Once your application is complete, you can copy and paste all your responses into the application and submit.
Admissions acceptances will not be finalized until the end of the admissions cycle, i.e. this is not a rolling admissions process.